Homepage » Forums » Permaculture in Your Neighborhood » Switzerland » A German in Switzerland

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Joyce 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Michael R.
    Participant

Hello from Basel, Switzerland
    Since about 9 years I´m living in Switzerland. I was born not so far from here in the South of Germany, somewhere near the famous Black Forrest.
    Unfortunately I think I´m one of the older students here, I just turned 45, sniff.
    My interests are in a looots of things: Natural-Gardening, Bee-keeping, healthy eating – like Sprouts ; making bread, mushrooms growing (no drugs) – and trinking Kombucha & Kefir…, sounds quite healthy, but I´m not so strict and no vegetarism (yet).
    I love travelling and I´m in love with Finnland/Suomi
    Hope we have a good exchange here, of experience and new ideas.

A good course for everybody – and thanks to the makers for this oportunity!!!

Michael

Anonymous

Hi Michael,

49 so older than you!!!

Look out for a bee keeper called April in the forum and you will probably know Sepp Holzer:

Sepp Holzer permaculture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HH3lFrzkII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEadIrBTUEY

Any news about whether the Black Forest is recovering from acid rain?

Adrian

Anonymous

Hi Michael,

We have 2 things in common, besides interest in permaculture. I also live in Switzerland and I am also 45 (but no sniffing here 🙂 I am an American, been in the Zurich area for 21/2 years. I am starting a small gardenng business here. Looking forward to the course!

Cheers,

Maria

Michael R.
    Participant

Normally Ladies first, but I let Adrian wait so long for an answer… so first to Adrian:

Hello Adrian,
    ok, you won the age contest close – but for sure that means more experience.
    Yes, I know Sepp Holzer – thats how I got introduced in Permakultur. I had a Sepp Holzer book as an Christmas gift for my uncle – and in the end, I was more interested in it than him. His thoughts inspired me
    and made me curious for more – so that I made a short course at his Krameter Hof.

To my shame I have to admit, that I had to google what happend with “Saurer Regen” = acid rain in my
    home area. I was big in the news about 20-25 yars ago. They say, that the Black Forest has recovered
    a bit, maybe due to less airpollution combined with a lot of lime spreading in the forests. Its out of the media (and it was out of my mind too), but I would not say the Black Forest is safe now.

The people in the South are now more concerned about Bahn 21 Stuttgart, which was a main reason
    that a green party got into power here, against long long tradition of more conversative parties.
    And they are discussing to step out from nuclear power plants and searching for alternatives.

Would be nice to stay in contact with you – if you can live with my German unyipical “Manjana”
    attitude..

Michael

Michael R.
    Participant

Hei Maria,
    would love to hear more about you and your garndening business.
    Is there a Homepage about it? Be free to sent me/us the link.

Contact would be nice, Here or via personal mail – if you allow/want I could also call or skype with you.

Hope to hear more from you

Michael

Anonymous

Guten morgen Michael,

Greetings to a man who has met the great Sepp Holzer and heard his words of wisdom directly, in his own language!!!

I automatically assume that anybody who is “laid back” about answering is busy in their garden, which is where we should all be. Where I live and until the water systems are in place, the plants (especially the annuals) will not take “mañana” for an answer.

This course, while extremely valuable, may be “unmanned” at certain times while the organisers attend to more urgent matters, so I think it is upon us to use the facilities provided to create our own networks, exchange ideas and post additional (on topic) information we may have on the subject.

The wide range of subjects and books already discussed in the first third of the videos is overwhelming and will surely give us good guidance and hours of reading in the years to come … while not losing sight of the whole point, which is to get out there and Observe, Observe, Observe … reflect/design and then (maybe) do something.

Now we are at a place where Edible Forest Gardens are being discussed, we might spare a thought for the Philosophers like Jünger and Heidegger who drew inspiration from the Black Forest and other places of retreat from the brutal world among them. For English readers, we may point to Henry David Thoreau’s “Walden or Life in the Woods”. Several times in the videos and discussions, I have heard variations on the theme that “providing an example to the neigbours in our own gardens or projects – if done properly – may be more empowering than political statement”. Our retreat to gardening may be a more powerful public statement than writing books about philosophy.

http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/thoreau/thoreau-walden6x9.pdf

A friend sent me this photo:
    http://www.focus.de/panorama/juergentest/hochwasserlage-in-deutschland-flut-bedroht-lauenburg-klietzer-see-laeuft-ueber-deichbruch-bei-fischbeck_aid_1011974.html

that makes me think that rice growing and fish ponds may become the new German agriculture due to global warming!!!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    Adrian

Ursel
    Participant

Hi Michael,
    45 – that´s not old 🙂
    I am 52, and I am from the Southern part of Germany as well (Stuttgart-area), and I love the Black Forest – and Switzerland.
    However, now I´m living in Denmark 🙂

Liebe Grüße
    Ursel

MILAN J
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Even though I am younger than you people, I am from INDIA ,Kerala which is a green beautiful and youthful place for everyone . I found that we have a lot of varieties of plants both medicinal and others around our home………………

julia surman
    Participant

Hello All,
    I too am a German (well 1/2 – the other 1/2 being English) in Switzerland but originally from Hong Kong… it’s complicated. I am in Davos for a year but would love to stay longer, if I could. I am not sure if that is feasible. I am on a year’s sabbatical from being a Humanities Teacher at a big International School as well as the Environmental Coordinator – a tough job in a place like HK. I have a small micro-garden project on the school roof which I am looking to expand. I also have a good-sized garden and green roof top of my own and grow a whole range of fruit and veg but I would like to learn more about permaculture through this course and gain a better understanding of permaculture.

Viele Gruesse,

Julia

Vladislav
    Keymaster

Hello Michael R. and welcome to the Online Permaculture Design Course!

I am really thrilled that you have chosen to join us for this world-changing program. With many tens of thousands of enrolled students, this is the world’s largest permaculture education course, and we’re really quite excited to share this knowledge with you.

I want to take a moment to let you know about a few options that can help you get the most out of your learning experience with us:

– Our instructors answer questions on these forums, and we generally really encourage you to participate in the forums as much as you can, as it will really help you engage with this material in the best possible way. You are encouraged to post any questions you may have about the lectures or general permaculture questions.

– The course itself is offered completely free of charge (no catch, no gotcha, nothing). We also offer the same material on DVD (so you can watch it on your television) and you can purchase the DVD sets @ http://www.regenerative.com/dvd

– We do offer the internationally-standard Permaculture Design Certificate as an option with this course. The certificate program includes an experiential design project and examination; the design project can be for virtually any topic, including your own property. You can learn more about the certification @ http://www.regenerative.com/certificate

If you agree that the knowledge we offer in these lectures is worthwhile, we encourage you to support the continued development of this program by purchasing the DVD sets and the certification. The DVD sets also make truly gifts for friends and loved ones, and are a great way to introduce other people to permaculture (consider donating a set of DVDs to your local library!).

Again, welcome on-board. I encourage you to take a moment to post on the other forums. If you have any questions, please post them in the Technical Questions or the Q&A forums (/forums). On behalf of our entire team, we hope that you enjoy this program and look forward to seeing you take this knowledge into the wild!

Joyce
    Participant

Hi. I am Joyce Webster, from Houston, Texas (US) and am 68, retired, and about as ignorant as anyone can be about permaculture. I had to look it up. Just yesterday I read about a method of growing potatoes in 4 square feet of space, and I thought, “I’ll try that in the spring.” We’ll see, because I am a master (mistress?) of procrastination.

Because Texas suffers some terrible droughts, I am particularly interested in water conservation, and because we have far too much sunlight, I am interested in solar power.

I will very likely have two distinctions in this setting: being the oldest (you 40/50’s can all sit down now) and asking the most basic questions.

Thank you for this opportunity to learn.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.