Abandoned buildings turned over to the city – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Urban and Suburban Permaculture » Abandoned buildings turned over to the city

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  RonAld Ward 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Carrina
    Participant

😀 Permaculture in detroit.
    One of the biggest complaints about Detroit is the abandoned houses. How about we throw some dirt and seeds in them. I’m aware that sounds silly but it embodies the basis of simple. Another complaint is welfare. Welfare is expensive but keeps children fed. If fruit trees were planted everywhere, technically food stamps could be reduced, right?
    Sure, some of the houses could be dozed. I imagine not everyone feels this way but… brick houses with plants growing all over them is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. The contradiction is the savior. The breath of fresh air is the reminder that it’s not all over.
    If people saw how wonderfully simple it is to bring nature into the city, I think it would catch on like the flu. 😉

Somesh De Swardt
    Participant

Sounds fantastic! In 100 years you can visit the jungle and discover the ruins of detroit, sort of like the Incas. Haha!

dcowick
    Participant

I agree that using permaculture food forest techniques in Detroit would be wonderful. One of the issues with this approach would be ownership. A lot with a sewer and water tap has value for future building, even if the original structure is dozed. As a building site for a future owner the food forest you establish might be valueless according to the needs of construction. However a site which the city dedicates as a park would be excellent. Distance from users, seasonal harvesting, and number of persons a site could facilitate would not practically replace food stamps, yet would add greater nutritional value for those who were lucky enough to know where and when to use the site.

However if a vertical aquaponics facility was built in urban food deserts, the use of food stamps to purchase high quality fish, fruits, and vegetables for the community would be invaluable in my estimation. Profits could be realized from high end restaurants, and quality high end grocery stores in more affluent locations.

dcowick
    Participant

Sorry, also large community gardens would be of significant value to residents on dedicated city property.

RonAld Ward
    Participant

Working at that same notion. next year more will be done along those lines.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.