Homepage » Forums » Plants, Climates and Soils » Acacia wood chips

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

maria
    Participant

I have a queston. I can get a lot of acacia wood chips for mulching the soil. Now I heard someone say that the acacia trees and also the wood chips will acidificate the soil. Does anyone know more about this or has experience with this?

Greetings,
    Maria

foolserrandracing
    Participant

I wouldn’t hesitate to use them. Even if they did acidify somewhat, the benefits of soil protection, water conservation and weed suppression as well as adding organic matter as they breakdown far out way any disadvantage.

Anonymous

I second that, if you are worried about the pH getting too low, you could always sprinkle a little bit of lime on the chips to balance it out, but wait and see what happens if you do nothing first.

Amara
    Participant

Are there any trees that one should avoid for use of wood chips? Eucalyptus I have heard is not worth using. Any other trees one should avoid?

thanks, new to this site today and love it.
    in Gratitude.

Sheesh
    Participant

By no means an expert but would suggest follow your nose, any tree with a strong sharp smell is likely to have an effect, eucalyptus, juniper, and many pine tree’s I know kill off competition in this way.

Did find this though thought it might help
    http://www.tappsa.co.za/archive2/Journal_papers/New_method_of_measuring/new_method_of_measuring.html

offers some comparisons and right down the bottom they give a simple method for testing yourself 🙂

foolserrandracing
    Participant

In permaculture, “the problem is the solution”. Do you have plants you want to control or eliminate? Use that mulch for that. Otherwise just use it lightly with other mulches and it will balance out.

Amara
    Participant

Thank you Sheesh. I’ll take a look at the article.

Amara
    Participant

Dear David, Yes, that is a good thought.

maria
    Participant

Thanks a lot.
    In the meantime I heard also when some trees are allelopatic, you can always let the chips lie in a heap and the fungi will do their work. At the moment that there are white streaks in the heap, it seems all allelopatic parts are gone.

Amara
    Participant

Thanks Maria. That makes since. Do you happen to have a link to this information?

Joy,
    Amara

Anonymous

Acacia’s are nitrogen fixers and pioneers in the forest so they should make great mulch. I’ve used Eucalyptus mulch with great success around my fruit trees, it turns into wonderful loam by the end of the year, this has also been true of cypress chips and all the other weird mixes we have got from the guys who clear vegetation under power lines. I have found even pine needles have worked wonders. You can always add a bit of chook poo or something with a higher ph if the soil becomes acid but I haven’t found it to be a problem. Soil loves organic matter. of course it would all depend on what you are using the mulch for.

Amara
    Participant

Thank you Kristy! We have a big Acacia tree near our CSA gardens. The tree litter is amazing for mulch. I love hearing about personal experience. What is chook poo?
    Blessings on your journey.

foolserrandracing
    Participant

Chook is another word for chicken…and well, poo is poo

Amara
    Participant

Ha! We will bring some chicken friends to the farm soon.

Anonymous

that made me smile, who knew that not everyone knows what a chook is!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.