Homepage » Forums » Plants, Climates and Soils » Advice on lemons

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  SiriS 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Teresa
    Participant

Hi there

We have a lemon tree in our yard. It has never been treated, composted, pruned etc and is infested with several very interesting parasites. We get two large crops of lemons from it every year but most of it gets left to rot. I was wondering what I could use this highly acidic compost for and also does anyone have ideas for what we can do with all these lemons? We usually make a few liters of lemonade but that’s about it.

Thanks.

Vladislav
    Keymaster

(You are receiving this message in reply to your post @ /forum/introductions)

Hello Teresa and welcome to the Online Permaculture Design Course!

I am really thrilled that you have chosen to join us for this world-changing program. With many tens of thousands of enrolled students, this is the world’s largest permaculture education course, and we’re really quite excited to share this knowledge with you.

I want to take a moment to let you know about a few options that can help you get the most out of your learning experience with us:

– Our instructors answer questions on these forums, and we generally really encourage you to participate in the forums as much as you can, as it will really help you engage with this material in the best possible way. You are encouraged to post any questions you may have about the lectures or general permaculture questions.

– The course itself is offered completely free of charge (no catch, no gotcha, nothing). We also offer the same material on DVD (so you can watch it on your television) and you can purchase the DVD sets @ http://www.regenerative.com/dvd

– We do offer the internationally-standard Permaculture Design Certificate as an option with this course. The certificate program includes an experiential design project and examination; the design project can be for virtually any topic, including your own property. You can learn more about the certification @ http://www.regenerative.com/certificate

If you agree that the knowledge we offer in these lectures is worthwhile, we encourage you to support the continued development of this program by purchasing the DVD sets and the certification. The DVD sets also make truly fantastic gifts for friends and loved ones, and are a great way to introduce other people to permaculture (consider donating a set of DVDs to your local library!).

Again, welcome on-board. I encourage you to take a moment to post on the other forums. If you have any questions, please post them in the Technical Questions or the Q&A forums (/forums). On behalf of our entire team, we hope that you enjoy this program and look forward to seeing you take this knowledge into the wild!

Andy
    Participant

Hi Teresa, As I understand it, a purist permaculture approach would advise to just leave the tree, soil and fruits to look after themselves however if you have less than optimal conditions you will probably have “problems” until such time as that natural balance is established.

It sounds like you have a very productive tree, but from your description the growing environment is currently conducive to pests and diseases. From a more conventional horticultural perspective, I would be taking a more active management approach and pruning the tree to improve air circulation and sunlight in the centre of the tree. This should help to reduce the conditions for fungal problems.

Pruning is also indicated to enhance access to fruit in the tree and to remove dead,crossing and decaying stems and branches. By reducing the growing stems you might also reduce the fruit crop too (addressing your abundance problem), although you may find that the fruit is better quality because the tree is able to direct energy and nuturients more efficiently. I would also suggest remove rotting fruit from the ground as this can also provide habitat for pests and diseases.

Whilst the fruit may be acidic, I am not sure that this is going to acidify your compost heap; particularly if you also add plenty of other organic matter. I’m guessing that once it is broken down, it will all tend to balance out

Jo
    Participant

Lemons can be preserved several ways:
    salted: see this recipe: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_preserved_lemons/
    lemon butter: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/lemon-butter-L841.html
    frozen juice: (make ice blocks out of the juice and keep them in a container in a freezer)
    candy the peel: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/candied-lemon-peel/
    Dry the skin: just grate off the zest (outside skin) and dry it for use in cooking http://breadbaking.about.com/od/beginnerbasics/qt/dryorangerind.htm

Don’t put too many in the compost, cut them up well before you do.

milliann
    Participant

peels in vinegar in mason jar let sit for several weeks…strain very effective non-toxic cleaner…great as a de-greaser & general cleaner…i read a column recently that to increase the juice pick green…put in a single layer in a corner to ripen you can freeze juice in ice trays…store in freezer bags to have lemon juice year round

Richard
    Participant

I live in (near) Denver Colorado (mile high city) and I know Sepp Holzer grows lemons at 3000 meters in Austria with deep winter snow. So, what exactly is his technique? I have heard he uses rocks but I haven’t found any useable information either online or in books. If anyone is growing citrus trees in the open (not indoors) in a similar climate to mine I would love to hear how you did it.

I am also interested in growing coffee, and carob if anyone has any information to share.

Thanks
    Richard Boettner

SiriS
    Participant

Citrus (including lemon) slows down the composting process. Better keep a separate compost area for citrus.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.