Anyone else working on a design project?? – Page 4 – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Permaculture Design » Anyone else working on a design project??

This topic contains 62 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  mkelleygc 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author

mphillips4387
    Participant

Well, I have submitted my proposal and design! I am having trouble getting the sector analysis map to go through. I have tried bit map and jpeg formats. I will see if I can save it as a pdf, but so far not having any luck there. Any ideas?

I was a little disappointed that they don’t accept powerpoint presentations, because in the instructions it says they do. I suggested to Vladislav that they reword that on the website. If anyone is creating a powerpoint, don’t bother, unless you want the practice. I had to copy and paste all the text into the conversation thread.

Here’s hoping that what I did was enough! Got my copy of the manual from the library for 3 weeks only so I can take the exam.

mphillips4387
    Participant

Blythe, thanks so much for your Ethics & principles honeycomb!! After I submitted my brief, I was instructed to be more detailed about how and where these apply in my design. I was a little overwhelmed about where to start, until I checked your website and found that. Don’t worry, I didn’t copy and paste! LOL It just gave me a place to begin and put my focus. From there, it’s just flowed. I’ve been typing and thinking and reflecting on my design for a few hours now and time has just flown by! so before my eyes stay permanently crossed, I’m going to take a break and finish tomorrow. I think that’s the last thing I need to do before the exam…..I hope, anyway! Thanks again for your help!

blythe
    Participant

Hi Mary Ann! You just made my day! That is EXACTLY why I put my project out on the web. I am so glad you found it helpful. It seemed so obvious to me that permaculture ethics and principles were integral to every part of the design – but you still have to find a way of demonstrating that that is the case, even if it means repeating yourself. I put a little extra effort into weaving those ideas throughout the narratives, and I think the project was better for it. Another place I discussed the principles and how they applied to my project is on my “Questions” page: http://barbolian.com/permaculture-journey/questions/.

I had a bit of a problem following the outline that we were provided for the project. It didn’t always seem logical to me–or maybe I didn’t fully understand how to apply it to my particular case or what it was they needed exactly–I felt I was going overboard on a lot of it, but didn’t have a point of reference, so I decided to just make it my own. It ended up taking me quite a bit longer to pull it all together, but I felt much better about it. If you can follow the outline exactly, it makes it easier for the reviewers – but Vladislav is good about working with you on meeting the requirements.

Best of luck to you on finishing things up and on passing the test! Hope you will share – would love to see what you are doing!

mphillips4387
    Participant

So glad have made you’re day 8) you made my day with that graphic. Maybe
    someday I can visit your farm and learn from you even more. Blessings!

Mary Ann

mphillips4387
    Participant

I finally got back to my project and finished it this morning…….I hope. Here’s an example of the format I came up with (very basic). I had it put together with bullets and all in outline form, but when I copied and pasted, it mashed it all together.

12 design principles

1 Observe & interact –
    sun-tracking and using its energy to the fullest: all zones; sun/heat sector, view sector (allow sun in esp during winter)
    enhancing contour of the land to direct water flow: zones 1,5; wildlife and drainage sectors
    leaving as much existing vegetation in place as possible to reduce labor and stress on soil and to maintain privacy screening and habitat for wildlife: zones, 2,3,5; steep slope sector, noise sector, wildlife sector
    creating friendly boundaries that invite neighbors into the project while maintaining a level of privacy for ourselves: zones 1,2,3; foot traffic/privacy sector, noise sector, view sector
    harness the power of natural composting cycles to enhance soil fertility naturally: zones 1,2,3,4; farm animal and drainage sectors
    utilizing sloping terrain to our advantage instead of attempting to change it: zone 3; steep slope sector
    providing food and water sources for pollinators and natural pest predators: all zones; wildlife, view and noise sectors
    receive feedback from the environment as project progresses and adjust accordingly: all zones and sectors

So I just did that for all twelve principles and then listed the 3 ethics and how they apply in my design. I hope that’s sufficient for my design brief. Everything else I submitted was fine. I had to define the zones on my design map, but other than that, it was accepted as well. So, now on to the exam!

I might have to get outside today for a little bit and get my hands in some dirt 8)

blythe
    Participant

@mary Ann – hope you were able to pass the exam & successfully complete the certificate!

mphillips4387
    Participant

I was successful! Thanks Blythe! Life got a little busy, and I forgot to update everyone. thanks so much for your help and encouragement! Your web site was truly instrumental in my completing the presentation. I had to take the exam three times, not because I failed, but because my browser kept timing me out. But it was actually a good thing, because I learned or relearned some things. I now am certified as a permaculture designer – yay!

blythe
    Participant

AWESOME!!! Congratulations, Mary Ann!!!! Such an accomplishment!! Just in time before spring, too! So very happy for you. I know how much work & effort it takes. Now let’s go out and save the world! (or at the very least, make it a better place!) 🙂

mphillips4387
    Participant

Lets do it! One yard at a time 🙂

Guy
    Participant

We are working on a 22 acre farm in the Midwestern USA (South Western Missouri, where the Ozarks meet the plains), mostly wooded. We plan to build an off grid passive solar home and garden virgin soil to produce as much variety of foods as possible, rotating garden spaces with cover crops every year. We’re on city water, but have 2 ponds, a creek and an old well. Orchard, asparagus, sunchoke and onion went in last year, vineyard this year. We’ve studied companion planting and have an over all idea of what goes where, all heritage variety of course. We’re planning the 3 sisters idea. Plant corn, squash or pumpkin and pole beans together. The beans climb the corn and the squash keeps the weeds down.

Bhagavati
    Participant

Hi, I’m about half-way through the lectures, but have been working on my own permaculture garden for some time already. Part food forest, part vegetable garden. Since I’m part of a community with 50 eaters on a daily basis, this is quite a challenge. Have recently visited one of our communities in Italy, in the Chianti region. They have 85 ha, most of which is forest. One of my old volunteers here settled down there and asked me to help him build a food forest in an old orchard. Most of the trees are too old and/or sick, so they will have to be removed. Spent 3 weeks there and made a simple design with some swales and trees and plants that grow well in that area. I might use it for the course, but I might also make another design based on our project here.
    Like to read everyone else’s ideas and projects. Nice to be around so many enthusiastic permaculturists, even if only online.

nschumacher
    Participant

Working on system design to combine Aquaponics and bubbleponics

nschumacher
    Participant

Working on system design combining Aquaponics and Bubbleponics

gtgaerdes
    Participant

ldbrummet thanks so much for the info – I will be looking into it!
    Thanks again!

Nhi
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am quite early on in the videos and have registered for the certification course. Does anyone know if this is in fact graded in order for us to obtain the certification and if there are any criteria that the design project needs to meet? I also cannot find the link for the multiple choice exam anywhere and would really appreciate any pointers/help from fellow certificate students!

Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Nhi

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.