aquaponics – Page 2 – REGENERATIVE.com

This topic contains 19 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Darrel Raynor 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

carykelley
    Participant

My plan is to construct a system using IBCs as much as possible for uniformity and ease of availability, as well as the recycle factor. Ultimately, I want to produce 25% of my vegetable food within the first two years after starting my system. Then, if all goes well I want to increase that number by 25% each successive 2 years, until I produce all vegetables we consume. I like the IBCs for a number of reasons, but mostly because they’re so versatile and I can get them at Tractor supply any time I want one. The first year will undoubtedly be trial and error, but after that I hope to have a really good grasp on things and headed to my goal. At the same time we will be exploring canning and freezing techniques to keep our veggies fresh and in stock, and that will certainly help as well. With any luck we’ll join a decent farmer’s market or veggie coop and that way we won’t have to grow every single thing we like to eat.

Greetings everyone, I’m new here and have lots to learn. I have a 25 acre property at Moliagul in central Victoria, Australia and am currently setting it up as an off grid sustainable living lifestyle. My biggest hurdle to achieving the dream is the amount of or lack of rain we have here. Besides growing both my vegetables and meat I want to set up the aquaponics for water plants, fish and crustations as food. I do have one reasonable sized dam that I’m hoping will fill this winter and a smaller one that I intend on extending as well as making much deeper as well as planting water plants in the shallows around the edges to clean the water. I’ll also be using this smaller dam as my swimming hole through the sumer.
    If anyone can suggest suitable plants to use as a covering of the dams to stop or minimize evaporation through the hotter months I would be most appreciative. Any suggestions need to be safe for our waterways and it would be great if besides using them as food, I could also harvest them as compostable materials and use them as a mulch.
    Thanks for all the tips so far, I look forward to getting to know you all.
    Greg.

design I am working on is rain red, where roof water is first filtered though lava rock in 15 gallon barrel that uses a bell syphon to transport water to storage container beside fish tank. The grow bed where all the plants are is is a well sorted mixture mixture of expanded clay, silt, sand, and organic matter. Red worms are happy and bacteria levels are stable. Bluegill are the fish that were available and I feed them a diet of bugs, watercress, and duckweed. Dream system has a larger capacity for fish water and food production.

eric
    Participant

I’ve recently learned that from a nutritional standpoint. Auqaponics produce largely lacks the nutritional value that regular soil grown plants produce. Does anyone have any insight as to why we would continue to grow in this fashion if the nutritional value is subpar?

Darrel Raynor
    Participant

We are still in tract home so this is all future conjecture…

My thoughts revolve around reasonably self-sustaining natural materials that can be perfected and taken to areas of food shortages, etc. So having a way to grow fish food (bugs, duckweed, organic waste, worms, etc. ) along with human food would be ideal. So once you get started, it requires very little $ outlay and not much hauling heavy sacks of food or whatever. Hot weather capable is a must. Not only is here in Austin TX rude-hot most of the year, but for Africa, S. America, Asia many places where this would be useful are hot. If the system could help filter contaminated water to drinking water that would be even better. Cannot contain materials or machines that are valuable as those would make an installation a target for thieves… So all has to be local materials, non-high value machinery (if any…) and capable of heat and cold.

So many good ideas here and around the web, thanks for the information!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.