Homepage » Forums » Water Sustainability » Collecting Rainwater

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jacquie
    Participant

Hi. We have to move some guttering. And there will be an amount of rain water that will now arrive into part of my garden. My idea is a collecting tank but not sure what size as I am also concerned about overflow. Got any suggestion the best way to do this.

Anonymous

Big subject. Look in Bill Morrison’s books and at the Geoff Lawton videos. There is a lot about these systems beginning with a “sáfety device” at the top that rejects the first flush of rain water that washes pollution off the roof, right down to ponds and drain-off ditches.

SWALES is the other subject, as you want the water to move SLOWLY through your landscape.

Also look at “syphonic drainage” http://www.fullflow.com/pages/syphonic-explained/ which is a way to get larger amounts off the roof faster and with less down pipes.

While you are at the plumbing, you will probably want to think about the grey water and some other systems. I am also at this stage and think that waiting and observing, then designing before picking up the demolition hammer or spade is probably the best course of action.

Consider different approaches. I thought of digging up a pavement to put a pipe under it, but then realised that the pavement is sunken to concave and is already leading the flow where I want it. Fukuoka less work strategy!

Helen
    Participant

I knew there was a calculation so I looked it up and found it here:
    http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Volume-1-pg-48.pdf

You can use it to figure out how much storage you need for a given time period if you know the average rain during that period. Hard to do for the 500 year rains we’ve had in Colorado, but it generally works.

trisha
    Participant

I have no system in place myself, but in discussing the possibility with family members, I heard of the idea of having the water shift back to the original drainage once your recipient (of whatever size) is full. Around here, rainfall/ snowfall can really vary, so I thought that was a great idea. Although, obviously, it would be good to have an idea so that you can install the right containers right off.

Kittyj2345
    Participant

Particularly because climate change is happening and rainfall is going to be increasingly variable, it’s always good to install a way for your storage to overflow that will take the water to a place that won’t cause any damage. Just in case you have a 100 or 500 year storm. You can install something along the lines of a hole near the top of your tank that connects to a hose, and the hose can take the water away to a municipal drain or an area that you can allow to flood (far away from your house, away from where anyone will need to walk, away from plants that won’t tolerate flooding, away from your neighbors, etc.)

Anonymous

Hi everyone. I have a potentially serious problem i need to deal with. My basement is subterrain and the rain water collected by the drainage pipes is pumped out to the municiple storm drains.
    my fear is that with climate change, my system may be overcome with rain and flood my basement. I would obviously like to be able to cope with a possible future overload of rain water by introducing some safeguards.
    Also, this is huge amount of rainwater that is being flushed away that somehow could divert it to be used more ecologically.
    This house is on a city sized lot. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you. Debbie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.