This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  trisha 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Filipe
    Participant

Hey everyone… My question is about chemical residue on grass clippings. I live next to a park, the grass is cut regularly and is left to dry there. I’m tempted to use it as carbon for my compost because I’m really lacking it at the moment. I am concerned though that any spray used there may eventually transfer to my food if used in my compost. What do you guys think??
    Thanks

Justin
    Participant

Hey Filipe, To answer your question I would have to suggest you don’t worry about the Chemical residue. our world is so penetrated by these sorts of substances that it has become virtually impossible to avoid them entirely. I say use the waist of this world to build a new one.

good luck.

Filipe
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Justin… Yeah maybe I’m worrying too much…
    I emailed the council about what kind of spray they use.. so let’s see what they say.
    Good luck on your endeavors too.

William
    Participant

Hello, Filipe. I have killed garden plants by using grass clippings as a mulch, and left a vacuum which was quickly filled with fire ants. I have also heard of manure from horses fed herbicide treated hay ruining gardens even after composting. So I strongly advise against the use of any grass clippings in the garden.

Filipe
    Participant

Cheers Willian! I haven’t used it yet and after your comment I don’t think I will… I appreciate your help.

Elmer
    Participant

Mix the grass clippings with dry leaves and find a place in your yard to pile it up. If you don’t find any worms in it after about 4 months, you probably don’t want to use it.

Filipe
    Participant

Cool …Thanks Elmer

Andy
    Participant

If you have used fresh grass clippings, there is a high chance the resultant nitrogen drawdown in the soil has contributed to the demise of your plants. I wouldn’t automatically conclude that it was due to chemical residues. Also use of lawn clippings can prevent water penetration. Better to mix it up with other (coarser) organic matter.

Fitzhibri
    Participant

G’Day Filip,

I have a 400 m2 of lawn and four chickens. I use the grass clippings as a cover base in my chicken coop. It gives something for the chicken to play with while they are locked up. It reduces the flys by hiding the drippings and I don’t soil my shoes when I walk inside the coop. They tend to recycle the cuttings in 4-5 weeks(in time for the next mowing). What is produced in four weeks is a rich mix of composted grass with chicken manure and I then mix it with other stuff to dalute it and use it as a mulch/fertilizer.
    I hope that you got chichen to work for you..

Filipe
    Participant

Thanks very much Fitzhibri, I would love to have chickens and a property that I can go a bit further but I’ve been moving around a lot lately. But I will keep that in mind for when I have my chickens..Cheers

Anonymous

Hi!
    I have a small garden in my back yard (near my back boor). The soil there only lets weeds and mint grow. Both grow to a small size and not in large quantities/ don’t really spread much. So, I decided to make that small space into a compost. So far I have placed my compost on top and mixing it with leaves. Is this a bad idea? Also, since it is winter the compost is frozen most of the time. Should I cover it? Any suggestions?
    connie

moira
    Participant

i had a small space which i used for compost
    in summer it got a bit smelly and had flies
    didn’t want to upset neighbours so i shoveled some earth from the beds on top – result flies and smell gone
    came to when i had time to turn the heap and sort out the mess
    to my astonishment it was all lovely compost so just plonked fruit tree on top
    done dusted

as a result of which am fairly certain can do the same 🙂
    dont think you should cover it, after all you are building a bed which will be open to elements innit?
    if / when it gets smelly, chuck some soil or compost on top
    or you can layer it with kitchen / organic waste then a light layer of soil, and so on
    then get planting 🙂 yaay 🙂 aint god good 🙂

trisha
    Participant

Filipe,

Could you ask the park-keepers what they put on the grass? Personally, I’d be worried if they used an herbacide, for example. Maybe I wouldn’t freak out so much about a non-organic fertilizer. Also, I guess it depends what you want to use it on. Maybe you want to mulch between established perenial plants that you never intend to eat–I doubt it would be a problem since whatever they used probably didn’t kill trees and bushes planted in the area! But maybe you plan to start seedlings or grow your food with that compost–if there’s leftover herbicide, you might find your plants stunted–and there’s just the ‘hey, what am I eating?’ factor.

I asked a neighbor with a huge yard if he treat it–and he doesn’t. So I use his lawn clippings.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.