This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dcowick 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gary
    Participant

My name is Gary. My partner and I live in a rural area just east of Albuquerque. We have chickens, ducks, geese and miniature goats. I have very little knowledge of growing food. I was born and raised in Virginia and lived in California before moving to New Mexico. Needless to say growing things in the arid NM climate has proved to be very challenging. I am looking forward to learning how to live in harmony with my environment and in a sustainable fashion. I am not very good and tend to get lost in these types of forums (i.e. threads) so please bear with me.

Bridget
    Participant

Hi, Gary! I’m in Moriarty too. It IS challenging here, especially since we have such low lows (our hardiness zone is the same as Nova Scotia here in the Estancia Valley, but we get much hotter and drier).
    Let me know if you’d like to swap seeds or something! Have you been in Mori long? Have you found a good windscreen tree yet?
    Bridget

dcowick
    Participant

I know what you mean about forums and threads. I am trying to get to as many introductions as possible to touch base with permaculture peeps in NM. Living in Farmington, a three river valley, sounds a little easier than where you are, but we still experience challenges. I am a newcomer to permaculture and started my garden before becoming aware of the movement.

It sounds like you have some space (acreage) to grow into with all the animals you have. I have a small residential double lot with irrigation (a contested resource at the moment), but I am committed to trying to reduce the use of that water to prepare for a time it may not be available for me anymore. Wish the option of at least chickens was available to me, so I envy you one that score.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.