Homepage » Forums » Permaculture in Your Neighborhood » France » Hello from South-Eastern France

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  trisha 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

trisha
    Participant

Hi! I am a recent transplant to France (born in San Diego, grew up in SoCal and went to University in Washington State).

My husband and I purchased a home about 2 years ago in a rural area, which means we’re now responsible for our small plot of land and are asking ourselves a lot of questions: how much lawn to keep, whether or not to give up on the roses that seem to require lots of fussing over (as compared with roses in SoCal) etc.

Anyway, without writing a novel, I’ve been watching the traditional gardening techniques of our neighbors (lots of tilling, manure and spraying with copper solution) and it didn’t seem right to me. I started researching gardening in raised beds w/o manure etc and stumbled upon permaculture. I’m excited to have found a course to walk me through things, because I by no means have a background in agriculture or biology so I have plenty to learn!

Look forward to learning along side of you all,

Trish

Vladislav
    Keymaster

Hello trisha and welcome to the Online Permaculture Design Course!

I am really thrilled that you have chosen to join us for this world-changing program. With many tens of thousands of enrolled students, this is the world’s largest permaculture education course, and we’re really quite excited to share this knowledge with you.

I want to take a moment to let you know about a few options that can help you get the most out of your learning experience with us:

– Our instructors answer questions on these forums, and we generally really encourage you to participate in the forums as much as you can, as it will really help you engage with this material in the best possible way. You are encouraged to post any questions you may have about the lectures or general permaculture questions.

– The course itself is offered completely free of charge (no catch, no gotcha, nothing). We also offer the same material on DVD (so you can watch it on your television) and you can purchase the DVD sets @ http://www.regenerative.com/dvd

– We do offer the internationally-standard Permaculture Design Certificate as an option with this course. The certificate program includes an experiential design project and examination; the design project can be for virtually any topic, including your own property. You can learn more about the certification @ http://www.regenerative.com/certificate

If you agree that the knowledge we offer in these lectures is worthwhile, we encourage you to support the continued development of this program by purchasing the DVD sets and the certification. The DVD sets also make truly gifts for friends and loved ones, and are a great way to introduce other people to permaculture (consider donating a set of DVDs to your local library!).

Again, welcome on-board. I encourage you to take a moment to post on the other forums. If you have any questions, please post them in the Technical Questions or the Q&A forums (/forums). On behalf of our entire team, we hope that you enjoy this program and look forward to seeing you take this knowledge into the wild!

Jessica
    Participant

Hi Trisha, I’m in south eastern France too, in the Var. Would be good to connect and share!

trisha
    Participant

Jessica, I agree. I’m in the Hautes Alpes (05). So not too far away but I think you have a much warmer climate. I’d love to exchange ideas.

Jessica
    Participant

Might be so… Hautes Alpes can be a bit cooler than here, especially that I’m just north of the Aix to Nice highway! Could bounce ideas off each other though? Have you found any other people in the area?

trisha
    Participant

Hi Jessica,
    I haven’t exactly found people that are doing things strictly from a permaculture standpoint, but I know people who are interested in the idea or who seem to use some of the principles without saying they are practicing permaculture. But there is a permaculture association in Digne (04). I saw them on internet, but haven’t made contact.

I used to live in Lambesc (North of Aix)–only a short time, but I’m guessing your climate is somewhat similar.

So are you working on anything? A garden or other project? We have a small house on about 1000m of land at about 1000m of elevation. We’re trying to grow more food on it and consume less water. Our soil is rocky clay and quite poor, so we’re working on a system of raised beds which we hope will also retain water downhill from our house.

I suppose water is a big issue for you?

trisha
    Participant

Oh, and also we are looking into potential renovations to our home to make it more energy efficient–if you have done anything similar, I’d love to know. I realize this isn’t only a regional issue, but legislation for–say– tax refunds is unique to France and so are some aspects of construction etc. We’ve had several people suggest different things like solar panels or a vmc double flux (heat exchange system in English, I think) but we’re not sure they’re actually worth it. . . let me know if you’ve had any experience with this–and I’m ok with using French for the discussion too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.