This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lovesnyder 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

lovesnyder
    Participant

Hiya,

I am Love, and I have been gardening since I could toddle out to my dad’s garden and hold a hose. I went on to learn tree trimming as a teenager, then got a degree in Biology. After that, I moved to KY (from Ohio) with my husband and, long story short, we now own 9 acres and raise our 5 kids, and sheep and goats and chickens and geese and more small critters.

I started by studying homesteading in an effort to grow more of our food, and with our poor, over-farmed soil, I got into no-till deep mulch planting. I discovered food forests 2 years ago and now have an acre planted in several fruit and nut trees and this year I am adding the understory plants.

Once I heard of Permaculture, by happening upon a Geoff Lawton film, I have read everything I can get my hands on since. We dug two swales last year and they work! Now I am riveted watching these videos. I am considering the certificate so I can show some credentials ’cause I’d like to help other food and water insecure people in KY do the same things. (Frankly, the price is holding me back. I keep saving and it keeps rising. -insert hard luck story like we all have- and now I have lots of medical bills.) I know too many hardworking people here who worry about having enough food to eat everyday. Once my forest & garden is set up and providing, I will offer to help interested people do the same. And maybe when the kids are older, go back to school to get the more advanced training yet to help with public food-forest parks or other larger projects. This whole Permaculture concept really clicks with me. Thanks!

Norm
    Participant

Hello Love!

Seems you’re further along than I, but our visions appear very similar. Our hope, like yours, is to develop our own understanding and engagements in ways that will then allow us to teach others. I’ll be interested in reading more of your thoughts and responses!

lovesnyder
    Participant

Hi Norm, nice to ‘meet’ you. 🙂 It’s very good to know there’s local people interested in this too! Once I feel confident in my project, which I want to be my front yard, I hope to meet other Kentuckians who do this and have them visit and go see what they are working on.

I got brave yesterday, did some math, and I took the leap and signed up for the payment plan and will get my Certificate. I am so glad they give us a whole year!

nnelsonturner
    Participant

Hi Love, just letting you know, you have another local here. We live in Junction City, KY, but my husband works in Wilmore. There is a “homesteading” permaculture-type meetup group that meets in Lexington if you are looking for more opportunities to learn hands-on. I attended Geoff Lawton’s first online PDC, and it was very beneficial. Look forward to hearing from you, as we don’t know many permaculture folks around here either. Sincerely, Natasha

nnelsonturner
    Participant

Hi Love, just want to let you know that I am working at Asbury Seminary now in their community garden, and I would love to connect with you. I will be doing some permaculture workshops, and I would like to see if we can work together.

lovesnyder
    Participant

Sorry nnelsonturner, I have been remiss in checking here. I live a few minutes from Asbury and never had the priveledge of seeing their gardens, and would love to. I am interested your Permaculture workshops if you do them again. I love Tech, but spend a lot of time AFK. I am still implemeting my PDC design, almost finished actually, and dreaming up more!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.