Hi from NE New Mexico mountains – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Permaculture in Your Neighborhood » United States » New Mexico » Hi from NE New Mexico mountains

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hi,

I’m happy this course is being offered. I’d like to learn better ways of maintaining a sustainable food producing ecoculture here in the mountains. I’m also interested in aquaponics and other aquaculture ideas. I don’t have a lot of land, no running water, just a well and the few acres are mostly Ponderosa pines and some clear areas. We live at 7500 feet elevation so the growing season can be quite short up here.

brenda

tmatthews
    Participant

Hi Brenda,
    I have property on a mountain side about 5 miles south of Mora NM at about 7500 feet. Mostly sloped with Ponderosa pine. I would like to accomplish much of what you described in your introduction. Maybe we could share ideas.

I don’t live there now, but I lived there for 2 years about a decade ago. I plan to move back in a couple of years.

On my last visit this summer, I built a swale, replanted some trees, and began building a ferro cement water tank. I hope to move in the direction of a food forest, but I need to capture more water.

Tom

Tom

Vladislav
    Keymaster

Hello Brenda and welcome to the Online Permaculture Design Course!

I am really thrilled that you have chosen to join us for this world-changing program. With many tens of thousands of enrolled students, this is the world’s largest permaculture education course, and we’re really quite excited to share this knowledge with you.

I want to take a moment to let you know about a few options that can help you get the most out of your learning experience with us:

– Our instructors answer questions on these forums, and we generally really encourage you to participate in the forums as much as you can, as it will really help you engage with this material in the best possible way. You are encouraged to post any questions you may have about the lectures or general permaculture questions.

– The course itself is offered completely free of charge (no catch, no gotcha, nothing). We also offer the same material on DVD (so you can watch it on your television) and you can purchase the DVD sets @ http://www.regenerative.com/dvd

– We do offer the internationally-standard Permaculture Design Certificate as an option with this course. The certificate program includes an experiential design project and examination; the design project can be for virtually any topic, including your own property. You can learn more about the certification @ http://www.regenerative.com/certificate

If you agree that the knowledge we offer in these lectures is worthwhile, we encourage you to support the continued development of this program by purchasing the DVD sets and the certification. The DVD sets also make truly gifts for friends and loved ones, and are a great way to introduce other people to permaculture (consider donating a set of DVDs to your local library!).

Again, welcome on-board. I encourage you to take a moment to post on the other forums. If you have any questions, please post them in the Technical Questions or the Q&A forums (/forums). On behalf of our entire team, we hope that you enjoy this program and look forward to seeing you take this knowledge into the wild!

Anonymous

Hi Tom,

I’m new at this permaculture stuff. I’m north of Mora up the valley about the same distance. On 434. How long since you’ve been out here? I moved here about 8 winters ago. I only have just shy of 4 acres and mostly wooded with a field out front that I use for gardening now.

I haven’t actually started the course yet. Hopefully I’ll get to it soon.

Brenda

tmatthews
    Participant

Hi Brenda,
    We have 36 acres about 1 mile south of Ledoux on the mountain side of the highway. According to the maps, the property is about 7400 feet at the highway and it goes up in altitude toward the national forest at least another 1,000 feet.

In 2006 we planted a garden there and it was wonderfully productive – lots of squash, melons, corn, etc.

currently, we live in Texas, but we were at the property over Thanksgiving. We built a cabin there about 20 years ago and equipped it with solar panels. However, since the cabin is vacant now, we disabled the electricity. We get water from the village of Ledoux.

tom

Anonymous

My squash [both summer and winter] do really well here also. Some years I get a good crop of potatoes, but not last year. Not as many squash and few potatoes. We grow onions and leeks, too. They do well here also.

brenda

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.