This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Joy 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Joy
    Participant

I live in southern Nevada where there is VERY little rain and it gets really really HOT in the summer time. One of the things I’ve recently come across in my own research in how to water plants is via hugelkulture. Because where I live is HOA, I would have to bury the hugelkulture instead of making it a berm like object.

I’m new to this forum and VERY NEW to this course. I literally just watched the 1st 2 videos. So – is a hugelkultur a permaculture “friendly” idea? Or is hugelkulture a dirty word amongst permaculturists?

Thanks for your input.

Dean
    Participant

Hello Joy

Hugelkulture is very friendly and we have started ours as well. Go for it.

Dean

welovemarmite
    Participant

I have just taken over a second allotment and hoping to give it a try on there

Anonymous

I have been doing in situ hugelkultur for years. I first lived in New Mexico and like you had very little water. Now I live in an area that gets droughts interspersed with heavy rainy periods. Hills would just slide right off my hillside garden. So we dig down about 3 feet, do a bit of double digging at the bottom of the bed and then start our hugelkultur mound down into the hole. We reserve the soil (really I have very little usable soil as it was all scraped off when the home was built) to mix with compost and ashes and ammendments and then replaced over the hugelkultur mound.

Anonymous

I started my hugelculture inspired tank garden in June. It is 3.5m wide. My tomato and cucumber crops have been the best ever. I have only needed to water every few days in a hot dry summer here in OZ. I will have to wait and see how it handles the BIG WET! I too am new, and looking forward to doing the course.

Joy
    Participant

I’m glad to hear hugelkultures are a positive welcome to permaculture! Larua – I think your info was the most helpful since you lived in an area that had little water. I really have a good front yard with a nice slant downward from the house so would like to get a rain gutter system on the house and direct the water to the front yard – creating swells (? I think that’s what they are called) where hugelkultures are underneath.

I’m really excited to learn what I can here!! Thank you all who responded!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.