Lecture One Permaculture Fundamentals – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Online and Offline Permaculture Resources » Lecture One Permaculture Fundamentals

This topic contains 33 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Spike 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Nancy
    Participant

I watched the first lecture on Permaculture Fundamentals yesterday and had my pen and paper ready. I took notes as Larry talked.
    After watching the lecture I browsed the forum here for conversation/discussion and was sadly disappointed. Ah well.
    I appreciate the statement, “Permaculture has some really good answers to some of the things our world is facing right now.” (paraphrased)
    I have had difficulty defining permaculture. Larry quoted another person as defining it as, “It provides for all the needs of human beings and other forms of life.”
    That speaks volumes to me.
    I realize Larry was speaking mostly about the soil in Lecture One, but that definition opens up the realization that permaculture includes even the smallest insect to the smallest animals. Habitats I guess.
    He also opened my eyes to our history with The Dust Bowl.
    I never knew that was how Soil Conservation started.
    Anyways, I enjoyed the lecture and look forward to the next.

Vladislav
    Keymaster

Nancy, permaculture is a sustainable design science rooted in observation of nature. That’s the simplest explanation. 🙂

Anonymous

are the slides that Larry is referring to in the video available for us to look at as he is speaking in the video? In other words can I download the slideshow to my computer?

Vladislav
    Keymaster

Robert: /supplemental/

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven’t started any of the other lessons yet, but do you need slides for those lessons as well?

Vladislav
    Keymaster

Robert – no; that’s really the only slides missing as far as I know. Of course they happen to be in the VERY first video! 🙂 We’re fixing that very soon.

Made Benson
    Participant

thanks for those slides Vladislav, I was very interested to see what he was referring to . And hi nancy im on my first lesson too, I find it incredible helpful with my work in agriculture . Im going to find the book Collapse it looks like a good one.

Miro
    Participant

Dear Nancy,

Thankx for starting this discussion, I to have just started and watched the first vid. I love permaculture precisely because as you say it includes even the smallest insects.

In the first vid however much talk was on Natural Farming. This s the first time I have heard this. I have watched the videos on the One Straw Revolution and found them of tremendous interest. Quite life affirming. In a way it offers an explanation for what I have done at my own home. But did you notice the lack of guilds or mandalas or even zones. Also there seems to not be any separation of crops, use of systems other than pure nature. It almost mocks the use of crop companionships etc preferring natural chaos. Hmmmm. Perhaps they are there after all but nothing was mentioned or seen in the video’s. I have now bought the book and look forward to some time with it. What are your thoughts on it versus or with permaculture…

Iris
    Participant

Hi Nancy and everybody else. I just watched lectures 1 and 2, and want to say thanks again for providing all these resources for free. And thank you for the link to the powerpoints, that is very helpful.

Nicole
    Participant

Hi! I just signed in tonight and will be taking my first lecture or two this week. I’d like to join in your “study group” (LOL) since we all seem to be starting around the same time. It may help keep me on track too to continue through all the courses knowing we’re all doing it together! 🙂

Nicole

PS: Some info on me, I live in Fort Myers, Florida and plan on using my property for my “design project”. I’m in a non-deed restricted area but there is county codes I need to keep in mind. I am on 1/3 of an arce (.34 acres)
    I already have a basic food garden (4×16…badly neglected over the last 2-3 years), several established tree’s/shrubs/native plants and I want to take it to the next level.

I’d love to hear why everyone else is pursuing this course! 🙂

Iris
    Participant

Ok, I made it to lecture 13 or so and skipped a few… a bit confused that we are switching between teachers and it’s not all chronological, or? Does anybody understand better? I had time this weekend, but will slow down now when i am back to work…
    Nicole, I am trying to learn as much as I can about naturally growing plans and harvesting from them. I am also learning medicinal plants right now, and am trying to grow some of them on an abandoned city lot – not very good at it so far, I am afraid.

Nicole
    Participant

Iris, what location/climate are you in? Are you doing this out of personal interest or as a career type education for yourself? 🙂 Just curious!

Iris
    Participant

so far, personal interest, I also have a full-time job ;-). I am in central Ohio. How about you?

Natalya
    Participant

I’m just joining in, too. I’ve been farming for nearly 20 years using principles that I’ve recently learned are permaculture, so I thought I better catch up with myself by taking the course!

Trying to balance sound ecological principles within a very strict regulatory system has been quite a challenge. But, I think it’s important to work within your community’s established regulations. If we don’t, it can give permaculture a bad name. If we find we are thwarted by regulations that need to be changed to better accommodate sensible planning and development permaculture style, then we need to take on the work of changing them so that we can lead a whole community to clearer understanding of good stewardship.

In my community, I’ve helped legalize “Natural Landscaping” so that people have an alternative to getting busted by the “landscape police”; helped legalize keeping hens and ducks in the city so that everyone, not just those with neighbors who didn’t complain, could raise their own eggs, and helped develop regulations for agritourism that allow more educational workshops, involvement of volunteers, etc. on local farms. Now working to legalize camping on farms.

Nicole
    Participant

Natalya,

All VERY good points. i live in an area thats not too strict, but i can always be more involved in changing it into something that benefits the earth more than just the neighbors!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.