Oak Guilds – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Permaculture Design » Oak Guilds

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Slim 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Slim
    Participant

Anyone have any experience in creating Oak guilds? What type of plants and/or fungi to use and where. It’s a big tree so I imagine a lot of species can exist at different places (pending shade, soil depth, wind/rain exposure, etc.) at different times…

Anyone have any experience with this?

cschmid13
    Participant

Hey Slim,

First it depends what country and zone you are in. However, Red raspberry bushes, thyme, and a variety of flowers do well but it depends on your zone. Hope this helpd.

Bird

Slim
    Participant

Bird,

Hey! Thanks! I didn’t even get to reading this till now, but I did plant raspberry bushes where a stand of privet (invasive in Georgia) had been the season prior just at the edge of the drip line of the Oak. Needless to say the raspberries took off! I stuck with acid-soil lovers since Oaks and Pines grow together naturally here in Georgia (USDA Zone 8), so Iv’e also trained the kudzu (N-fixer) that remained on a fence (to keep it off plants) and introduced blueberries and peanuts (by accident! but another N-fixer)) to the guild as well. Everything seems to be doing good with minimal input.

Great idea and I’ll trial thyme as well!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.