Homepage 2019 » Forums » Online and Offline Permaculture Resources » permaculture/sustainability study materials for newbies – books, vids, pics, etc

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jennifer Nini 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mark
    Participant

I’m a real newbie concerning permaculture and sustainability but really want to learn. So does anyone know some top notch permaculture and sustainability educational material besides this course 😉 on any of these topics and other topics worthwhile to know in a permaculture and sustainability context?

heres some topics I’d like to learn more about
    – aquaponics
    – building with wood, building with stone, building with clay, etc
    – Companion Planting
    – Composting
    – design – forest garden design, ecovillage design,
    – earthsheltered houses
    – energy – wind, solar, thermal, kinetic
    – Food Forests and Forest Gardens
    – Food preservation and storage
    – heating and stoves
    – husbandry (how to care for animals and use animals in permaculture/gardening)
    – hydroponics
    – manure
    – nutrients, nutrient cycles, soil fertilty, microbes
    – “Pest” control
    – polytunnels, greenhouse pits/walipinis
    – seasonal planting
    – soil restoration (how to make dead earth fertile again – like paul stamets ted talk 6 ways mushrooms can help save the world)
    – vertical gardening
    – water harvesting and storage
    – water treatment, greywater systems, etc
    – weeding without chemicals

Heres some material that ive already found and begun to watch and read:

Videos
    – A farm for the future
    – Bill Mollison: Global Gardener Series
    – dirt the movie
    – Lawton on Food Forests
    30 year old Food Forest,
    300 year old Food Forest,
    2000 year old Food Forest
    – Paul Stamet Ted Talk: 6 ways mushrooms can help save the world

Books
    – Aranya – Permaculture Design
    – Art Ludwig: The New Create An Oasis With Greywater – Choosing, Building and Using Greywater Systems
    – Art Ludwig: Water Storage – Tanks, cisterns, aquifers and ponds
    – Bill Mollison: Permaculture – A Designers Manual
    – Bill Mollison: Permaculture Two-Practical Design for Town and Country in Permanent Agriculture
    – Bill Mollison & David Holmgren: Permaculture One-A Perennial Agricultural System for Human Settlements
    – Brad Lancaster: Rainwater Harvesting Volume 1
    – Brad Lancaster: Rainwater Harvesting Volume 2
    – David Holmgren: Permaculture Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
    – Eric Chivian: Sustaining Life-How human health depends on biodiversity
    – Fern Marshall Bradley: The Organic Gardener’s Handbook of Natural Pest & Disease Control
    – Ianto Evans: Rocket Mass Heaters – Superefficient Woodstoves YOU Can Build
    – Jeff Lowenfels: Teaming With Microbes – The Organic Gardeners Guide To The Soil Food Web
    – Joseph C. Jenkins: The Humanure Handbook – A Guide To Composting Human Manure
    – Joyce Russell: The Polytunnel Handbook
    – Martin Crawford – Creating A Forest Garden
    – Masanobu Fukuoka – Natural Way of Farming
    – Masanobu Fukuoka – Sowing Seeds In The Desert
    – Masanobu Fukuoka – The One Straw Revolution
    – Masanobu Fukuoka – The Road Back To Nature
    – Mike Bubel: Root Cellaring – Natural Cold Storage of Fruits and Vegetables
    – Nick Grant: Sewage Solutions
    – Patrick Whitefield – How To Make A Forest Garden
    – Patrick Whitefield – The Earthcare Manual
    – Paul Stamets: Mycelium Running
    – Piers Warren: How To Store Your Garden Produce
    – Sepp Holzer: Desert or Paradise
    – Sepp Holzer: Sepp Holzers Permaculture
    – Sepp Holzer: The Rebel Farmer
    – Sven Erik Jørgensen: Global Ecology

So are the materials ive found so far any good? Do you know some good materials I haven’t listed here or material thats better than what i’ve listed here? Are there areas/topics of permaculture/sustainability that I haven’t included that I should?

Advice and help greatly appreciated.
    mark

jeremy
    Participant

Look in the other posts in this forum about other materials that have multiple replies.
    When running an internet search, use similar names and slight misspellings, scan first, read if relevant and note future keywords to use in other searches. Check bibliographies for relevant materials and search terms. Limit searches to specific geographical areas of interest. Limit searches to specific document types and domain types (.pdf, .org, .gov, etc.).
    Apply any ideas you find to contract and expand your searches. Look in other permaculture forums for similar lists.

Rik Jensen
    Participant

something that I didn’t see on you post mark was Vermiculture. You should look into that it’s really interesting.

blythe
    Participant

Wow. Looks like you’ve assembled a pretty comprehensive list that would take several lifetimes of study! Mollison’s Designer Manual is the foundation document for this course, and is, of course, very comprehensive. I can’t tell from your profile where you are located, but I am in the Pacific Northwest, USA, and have found Crawford’s books very relevant since the UK climate is so close to ours. I have only read Vol. 2 of Edible Forest Gardens (Jacke & Toensmeier), but that book is simply fantastic! Definitely a great reference for anyone in a temperate climate! I would also recommend Paul Stamets’ “Mycelium Running,” for gaining a better appreciation for the importance of fungi – but some might think it a bit intense. However, the book that really got me going as a beginner & turned around the whole concept of how I garden was Toby Hemenway’s “Gaia’s Garden.” Very easy to understand; digestible without being overwhelming; something that gives you a feeling of YES! I can DO this! For me, it was life-changing.

T_indignadx
    Participant

Greetings Mark, there is a great thread here aty the forum: /topic/booklist-thread
    hope you find it useful, greetings from Spain

Jennifer Nini
    Participant

Thanks so much for sharing this – I wouldn’t call myself a newbie in this area, but indeed I don’t have as much knowledge as I would like – and you have given me more than enough resources to help expand that 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.