Project Community Food Forest- Albuquerque, New Mexico – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Urban and Suburban Permaculture » Project Community Food Forest- Albuquerque, New Mexico

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  newsy214 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

newsy214
    Participant

Hello Permaculture friends,

I am the founder of Project Community Food Forest in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This project is an edible garden that is actually being grown on the property of New Mexico’s largest homeless shelter, Joy Junction. The food that is grown will be going toward their homeless kitchen and being distributed to the homeless population in the city of Albuquerque. Albuquerque has an unfortunately large homeless population with many people being turned away from shelters on a daily basis due to overpopulation in the shelters already. Project Community Food Forest is a separate entity from Joy Junction but since our goal is to educate our community on growing fresh food and uniting our community under the mission to feed fresh and healthy foods to the needy, Joy Junction offered their property for the project to take place on.

We broke ground on PCFF in the summer of 2014. Since then we have received generous donations of fruit trees, compost, mulch, and are currently in the process of installing an irrigation system with all parts being donated to us as well. Please like PCFF’s Facebook page at facebook.com/foodforestabq and watch our project as it grows. We run entirely on donations and volunteer work. Permaculture is the FOUNDATION of how we are making this project happen.

If all continues to go smoothly then we hope to have many more locations for Project Community Food Forest to take place on. This is our phase 1.

Sincerely,
    A Permaculture Admirer- Meg

adamv12
    Participant

Hello Meg, I am currently in the works with the city of Farmington to do community permaculture garden here at Berg park. We have the same homeless problem here and are going to donate some of our production to a couple of shelters here. This will be an all voluntary garden. Hope you do well in your venture and prosper and bring joy to all you come across. Next time I’m in Albuquerque I would like to come see what you have got going on down there. Let me know a good time to meet up at Joy Junction. My email is [email protected]. Maybe I can help out with some of your irrigation or something while I am there.

Adam Velasquez
    Adam’s Eden Permaculture Design
    505-716-5356
    [email protected]

newsy214
    Participant

Adam,

Awesome! I am so happy to hear that you are doing this in another part of New Mexico. I will email you!

Megan Rivera
    Founder of Project Community Food Forest
    facebook.com/foodforestabq

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.