Question regarding conventional farmland around my property – Page 2 – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Social Permaculture and Invisible Structures » Question regarding conventional farmland around my property

This topic contains 23 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  iamstarr16 3 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

brucecoon
    Participant

I see some people suggesting solid walls to stop the drift, these will however only cause the wind to push up and over the wall, and will do little to stop any contamination. Studies have shown that you want a barrier with about 60% permeability, this slows the wind and stops or catches the greatest amount of unwanted contaminates from reaching your land. I do agree with the suggestion that you sell and move, as that is the best solution to your problem.

alexandros m. pfaff
    Participant

…opinions and beliefs are many, truth IS one! Sure, for some guys “selling & moving” seems too drastical but truth IS you CANNOT stop contamination from invading your land, especially when we talk about smaller lands as in Laura’s case! So in these cases, any measures will always BE only half or quater measures with little positive impact, if any at all! In the long run selling and moving may be and bring much less stress, will need much less energy and work and, most importantly, will definitely BE much healthier for your family (!!!) than starting with protection-shields. And, I guess, the last point IS actually what matters, right? If not, then why bother at all about chemicals???
    So, if truth IS not welcome to sombody’s philosophy of life, then, of course, a detailed focus and discussion about the whats and hows concerning shielding shall be the next step… and remember or think about it: Things sometimes appear much differently then they are in truth! As a matter of fact, truth usually IS hiding behind people’s beliefs, opinions, emotions, attachments, anger, ego…
    all the best and first of all, wise decisions 🙂

ridgecoyote
    Participant

Interesting discussion… my problem has been the exact opposite – My neighbors complain of the messy appearance of my 1 1/2 acre with grasses as high as an elephant’s eye and green density like a jungle that sticks out in a land of neatly mowed and weed-ate brownlands. (California)

tdmcg65
    Participant

The positive steps are the best from my point of view. In your zone one raise some beautiful tomatoes, squash and peppers make up a beautiful colorful basket of delish veggies and take them to your neighbors as a gift. Then as you leave look over your shoulder and remind them they must be washed in a Clorox solution to remove the poison from their overspray.

Eduardo
    Participant

Patient observation is the clue in this case which you have started on as you told us. This is fortunatelly the best you can do. Remember your actions will affect your neighbour as his will affect yours as well. And guys . . . we belong to the land, it does not belong to any one of us. Remember!!!!!!

perma
    Participant

I think alexandros proposes the most practical solutions.
    If you have the ability to sell, then move. Is this a too drastical solution? I don’t think it is, when *your health is at stake*. You must look after your and your families health first.
    Communication with the farmer is vital. Like mentioned above, may be there’s an agreement that can be reached with regards to spray times and or possible buffer zones??
    Before you start planting, you may want to find out what chemicals are being used. This may determine your plan of attack.
    The following link may assist you in identifying what is being used: http://www.toxicfreenc.org/informed/pdfs/corn_chems.pdf
    On this sheet it shows that most chemical applications on corn are being applied aerially, and it would be most unusual (according to the prevalence of aerial applications on this sheet) that your neighbours corn fields are not sprayed aerially as well.
    I would talk to them and ask if they have in the past used aerial sprays, or if they are likely to use aerial sprays in the future. If they decide to do this, no matter what barrier you have, you will be affected.

stanleyloper
    Participant

The expert opinion of moving and finding a place better suited is certainly the bet option. However, if it isn’t possible or desired for other reasons, such as convenient to work, etc., then build the buffer zone if you have the land in whatever way you can afford. Then be a good neighbor. Remember that the methods the farmers use are what they were taught and is all they know. They are taught the method they use is most economically feasible as a model. So think in the long term and don’t complain.

Wash the vegetables you consume, you should anyway, but make yourself into useful and well thought of neighbors with some credibility in the area for all you have what they would consider odd views. With time you will be listened to as they see you aren’t so radical as to fight them, and that your methods work on the scale you practice them. And if you’re selling at local farmer’s markets you may even be able to get your neighbors to create their own buffer areas near your land, or at least be more cautious with their practices near your land. Always remember farmers are business men and money is the bottom line. So if you can suggest things to grow in the buffer zones on their land which are economically viable, they may will consider it.

Back in the 1960s, when I was in the Boy Scouts I notice the merit badge requirements for agriculture included information on buffer zones as a means of stopping or reducing wind damage and providing habitats for huntable wild life such as rabbits or squirrels. The reduction of wind damage, i.e., the removal of topsoil by the wind alone is more than economically justifiable. The other reasons would be extra benefits. It is even possible with time to get your neighbors to try out organic methods on the property neighboring yours as they see your success with your kitchen gardens. I imagine something like that may play into some of the stories of farmers now doing organic farming. Note, though, I wrote SOME farmers.

I am new to gardening to begin with. I’m reading about permaculture gardening because it fits my Christian world view that man was put on this world to be stewards of it. Right now I am gardening organically for the same reason. I also have the not so uncommon problem with urban dwellers of a neighboring landowner in the same neighborhood I rent my duplex in who is semi-hostile to me and ready to complain about things like an unsightly vegetable, which he hasn’t yet, to factor in as I garden. But the strategy I just outlined is exactly the one I am following, and has worked for me before. But it is including making my beds more diverse, including flowers worked into the beds and planters set up in a way to make things more aesthetically pleasing.

My best to all!

Baron
    Participant

Hello from down under.
    As you only have 1 acre, you are really only mitigating the problem however, the construction of a large greenhouse, to house your zone 1 and 2, might be one answer. This would give you a barrier and controllable environment. If you incorporate the greenhouse with a chicken house and some kind of internal water store/pond and some clever solar design, you can also get the benefits of temperature stabilisation.
    I have a hundred acres but,the actions of neighbours are still of concern.
    As the population increases, and land is broken up into smaller and smaller parcels, this issue will become more prevalent. We might have to return to the caves:)

Baron

iamstarr16
    Participant

I guess there is a certain distance for you to consider that you are free from their overspray of chemicals. If you fall on a certain allocations, then likely you still be affected to it. Check your crops and plants if they have some changes day by day, in that case you can determine that you are already affected. Wood trees, suffers most of these scenario because they almost capture the entire spray as every canopy traps the particles.

Regards.
    Ian of http://caldwells.com/

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.