Homepage » Forums » Urban and Suburban Permaculture » sewage treatment options for a small town

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Korn 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Marty
    Participant

Looking for inspiration. I live in a small town of around 6000. The town council needs to expand the capacity of our sewage treatment facility, which disposes to stream most of the year. We’ve just bought a farm next door with the intention of disposing to land for most of the year.

I want to broaden the discussion and inject some more radical thought and options for both the treatment and disposal.

We’re in Wairarapa, New Zealand. It is temperate/mediterranean with ave highs under 10°C in winter with frosts and occasional snow, and ave highs in summer in mid 20s°C.

There are strict requirements for discharge to air land or water, and for the removal of nitrogen, phosphorus, etc. We use standard processes including holding and oxidation ponds, UV, and some wetlands.

I’ve thought about reducing the “input” to the sewerage network through households using composting toilets and greywater recycling. But what about at the other end? There must be better options for treatment and disposal in use around the world.

Colten Jackson
    Participant

I would really love to see municipal governments encouraging composting toilets and greywater recycling! Here in Illinois there are few people talking about things like rainwater gardens that absorb rainwater – but greywater use (having a little marshland in your backyard, for example, or otherwise diverting greywater to your garden) is not talked about very often. Humanure puts you strictly in hippie territory! And I wish that were not the case.

Anyway, I can only suggest expanding the wetlands, maybe tie it in with some educational placards and wildlife-watching programs, you know? Make it multi-use.

Anonymous

Our town just installed a membrane bioreactor plant and received govt funding for a good portion of it.

Anonymous

Anonymous

The links don’t seem to be working, but you can go to http://www.richmond-utah.com/sewer.html for more info on it.

Marty
    Participant

Thanks Bill. I’ll follow that up.
    Marty

trisha
    Participant

I just learned recently that in our town of roughly 10,000 inhabitants our sewage treatment is a reed-based pond setup! (I’m new here which is why I didn’t know) I was very impressed when I was speaking with the city council member about it, but she said that now, here in France, we no longer have a choice. When a new system goes in it has to meet certain requirements–I believe that it was quite expensive, by the way. As we live in a rural area on the outskirts of town, we are on sceptic until another treatment center can be built, which might be quite some time given our town’s budget and the expense. . .but I’m hopeful. I think it’s a great, if expensive solution.

And I want a composting toilet anyway! And I think the new houses being built in our neighborhood should do them too!

Larry Korn
    Participant

Check out the system used by the town of Arcata, California. The treat all of their sewage by running it through sand, gravel, and especially reeds, aquatic plants, grasses, and shell fish. There should be exact details on line. ~Larry Korn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.