Homepage 2019 » Forums » Water Sustainability » Water "cleaning".

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Korn 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Chuck
    Participant

I have a design project getting started.
    I am in the middle of a 400ac agro crop field. the farmer is very good at modern farming technique. Fertilizers, plowing and herbicides are used in abundance. the field has topography that creates run-off right into a ‘ditch” that flows East to West in the middle of my property, I have 6ac.
    I want to capture and use this water for my project, but I am not keen on the fact that all of this water is bringing the chemicals with it. My question is:
    Can I build a structure to “clean/filter/scrub” this water before I let flow to the other desired uses on my property?
    An example would be to build a pond or swale that would allow the water to clean itself before I turn it loose to do a good work elsewhere on the property. I would plant some type of “non-consumptive” product such as reeds or willow/poplar tree, to help with the cleaning of the water that comes. Thank you. Chuck

Larry Korn
    Participant

Hi Chuck, Too bad about your neighbor. Bummer. But hey, we do the best we can with the hand we’ve been dealt. There are a lot of good ways to clean up water using reeds, grasses, gravel, and so forth, and that is probably your best course of action, but you will have to do some research to see what to use, how to use it, and whether or not it is effective on synthetic chemical residues. There is a ton of material out there. All of the books on gray water discuss it and also the ones about rehabilitating wetlands. Also, be sure to check out the municipal sewer treatment system for Arcata, California. They use grasses, reeds, shellfish and gravel to clean up their sewage before discharging it into the waterways.

~Larry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.