Water storage in malarial areas – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Water Sustainability » Water storage in malarial areas

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  bluewolfgypsy 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sky
    Participant

Hi there, I’m a travelling currently assisting in a project in Zambia. Like much of Africa, practices such as burning have removed all organic matter from the soil, and water runoff is huge. We are working on all the normal things (mulching, composting, etc) but we also need much more water storage for vegetable gardens during the rainy season. People are using well s which run dry and must be re-dug, fill up with sand, collapse and sometimes breed mosquitoes. I’m helping people look at water tanks, but they miss all the benefits of standing water for biodiversity, etc. The problem is that standing water creates malarial mosquitoes. The usual fixes (frogs, fish) don’t stand up because- well, they get eaten. (This is a really struggling area). Any suggestions?

earleybirdfarm
    Participant

Sub-surface water cistern would be a possible fix for that site. In order to store the most amount of water in the most cost effective means a sand or rock filled cistern with reed bed filtration might be the way to go.

wiiginnam
    Participant

This is tricky, and I also have the same issue in the Maasai Mara.
    Sub-surface cistern, they can be very troublesome to maintain and repair. Above surface means mosquitoes. There are claims on Neem’s effectiveness on limiting the breeding ability of mosquitoes.
    I’m lucky the Maasai don’t eat fish or frogs, these water animals will thrive here when we build a pond!

bluewolfgypsy
    Participant

I would like to see more on this post and how where to start in Ethiopia. My Daughter-In-Law and son are starting a business, in the USA, to help people who live over there. The plan is to eventually show them how to start their own business. We are all very interested in trying to find ways to show them to build earth homes and put in Permaculture/Heuglculture designs for sustainability also. We are new to ALL of this and book learning just isn’t enough.
    I know water is a huge issue and am wondering if multiple swell systems that lead down to underground well systems would work (with hand pump).

bluewolfgypsy
    Participant

http://allafrica.com/stories/201504170701.html
    The dam project is hurting the indigenous people’s ability to locate food sources.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.