What Plant & Trees for India – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Plants, Climates and Soils » What Plant & Trees for India

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Geeta 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ramakrishna
    Participant

I am very thank for putting this course online for free of cost.

I am currently going through your Design videos, So far most of the books that you referred (for example Gaia’s) etc seem to be applicable to the Geographical Location of USA.

I live in India and wish to do permaculture stuff here.
    Could you please suggest me any books or online encyclopedia that talks about the kind of trees & Plants that are specific and local to India Geographical Location and Climatic Zone.

I need this information because, for example I want to know which plant tree fixes Nitrogen in the soil in India so that I could plant them near my fruit trees etc.

Because most of the plant & tree names covered in your Course videos and books that you referred don’t seem to be available here in India.

Please guide.

Thanks in Advance

Andy
    Participant

Namaste Ramakrishna,

I think you will find the books are good for general principles in the books but you would benefit from more research to adapt these to your local situation. There is an abundance of information on line.

I don’t know where you are in India, but when I visited Rajasthan I was struck by similiarities to some Australian and South African landscapes where Acacia species (nitrogen fixers) grow. Acacia species can be found in a range of habitats.

Many of the legumes popular in India might be suitable for your situation. There is lot of information on line. For example below is an extract from Wikipedia on Nitrogen Fixing Crops. You could try contacting the Indian Botanical Society http://www.indianbotsoc.org/ for information or referral to sources closer to where you live.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plants that contribute to nitrogen fixation include the legume family – Fabaceae – with taxa such as clover, soybeans, alfalfa, lupines, peanuts, and rooibos. They contain symbiotic bacteria called Rhizobia within nodules in their root systems, producing nitrogen compounds that help the plant to grow and compete with other plants. When the plant dies, the fixed nitrogen is released, making it available to other plants and this helps to fertilize the soil. The great majority of legumes have this association, but a few genera (e.g., Styphnolobium) do not. In many traditional and organic farming practices, fields are rotated through various types of crops, which usually includes one consisting mainly or entirely of clover or buckwheat (family Polygonaceae), which were often referred to as “green manure.”

The following 16 pages are in this category…

Alfalfa
    Clover
    Cover crop
    Cowpea
    Crotalaria juncea
    Fenugreek
    Lupinus
    Lupinus subg. Platycarpos
    Melilotus
    Mucuna pruriens
    Peanut
    Rooibos
    Soybean
    Trifolium repens
    Vicia faba
    Vicia sativa

Larry Korn
    Participant

Thanks, Andy, for helping Ramakrishna find the plants that will be useful to him in India. It is impossible to list the specific plants for all areas in a permaculture class. Most courses concentrate on the plants that are useful in the area where the course is being taught. The important thing is to concentrate on the function that plant provides, then find the ones that can grow well where you are. For example, if you need a nitrogen-fixing ground cover, find nitrogen-fixing ground covers that are suitable to where you live in India, or France, or Costa Rica. If you think your design would benefit from plants that attract pollinating insects, find the ones that work where you are.

Geeta
    Participant

Having joined the permaculture movement newly, I too am keenly looking for India-specific material on permaculture. I would love to hear more from permaculture practitioners in India about their experiences generally and more specifically about:
    Which plant species are dynamic accumulators?
    What are the green manure crops that can be planted?
    which are the cover crops that can be planted with big trees and which ones with vegetables?
    We have lots of snakes, including highly venomous ones like cobra, krait, Russell’s viper etc. Won’t ground covers and mulches be ideal hiding places for snakes? Death from snake bites is still a problem in our rural areas. Hence it is difficult to convince our people to let fallen leaves be. Barren looking land beneath trees or in gardens is the norm here. I am interested to know if others from tropical or subtropical Indian regions have faced the same problems. Would love to hear about how you have dealt with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.