What to do before winter, and use of crab apples – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Plants, Climates and Soils » What to do before winter, and use of crab apples

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Inge Leonora-den Ouden 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

dallas_cowboy04
    Participant

before the grond freezes what should i get in the ground i have a large pine tree and have planted garlic i am looking for a deep tap root to help some deeper levels of soil any idea in my garden i have a large pine tree not really sure how to use it to my advantage and also wondering what to do with acidic crab apples

I have no answer for the pine tree. But I do know what to do with crab apples. I like crab-apple-marmelade (or jelly). The most important tool you need to make it is a stron sieve (strainer). First you cook the fruits with a little bit of water, until they are really soft and fall apart. Then you have to sieve them, which is hard work if you do it by hand (with a wooden spoon). My mother had thing made for that work, I don’t know the English word for it.
    When you have made as much fruit pulp as possible, you start cooking it again, with an amount of sugar added (depending on your taste … ). And you cook it until it becomes firmer (it won’t drip off of the spoon).
    Put this marmelade in clean jars with lids. So you have a nice stock of fruit for the winter 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.