Yuppie Yard Topics – what can I put on my yard, especially in dry, poor grass? – REGENERATIVE.com

Homepage » Forums » Urban and Suburban Permaculture » Yuppie Yard Topics – what can I put on my yard, especially in dry, poor grass?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Darrel Raynor 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Darrel Raynor
    Participant

Hello,
    We spread our coffee grounds around our yard and tree/flower gardens. We have some poor areas of grass and I was wondering if emptying our canister vacuum, mostly dog hair, onto the yard, adding a bit of soil, and watering would help or hurt? We leave dog hair on lawn when brushing, seems to float away or get tromped in, cannot tell any difference in healthy lawn.

trisha
    Participant

I wonder if the dog hair doesn’t get snatched up by birds?? I thought they liked it for nests. It sounds like the vacuum canister would mostly contain ‘mulch’ type material but I’m not sure how it would help your grass–unless it’s for keeping moisture in??

What about adding some compost to the parts having trouble as well as a nitrogen fixer like clover to help stimulate the area?

We also have some ugly grass patches and in the part of the lawn we want to keep, I’m considering just sheet mulching in a few places and putting in ‘colonies’ of something other than grass that I actually want. For example clover or low growing flowers, creeping thyme, whatever. We actually have a few patches of wildflowers growing in our grass and we mow arround them in the summer because we like them so much–which is where we got the idea. Maybe one day our ‘colonies’ will take over and we’ll have a beautiful, non-grass patchwork. . .

Darrel Raynor
    Participant

Yes, it is to build up soil, keep in moisture, etc. and not fill trash with mostly breakdownable items. I might try the clover route. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.